Thursday, May 2, 2013

Concerning the matter of free will

Many of you have heard of making a decision for Christ. How is it that you do this when you cannot save yourself? I prefer the way Dr. Luther puts it in the Small Catechism.

" I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength.  believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord or come to him . But the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel enlightened me with his gifts sanctified and kept me in the true faith. In the same way he calls gathers , enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith. In this Christian Church He daily and richly forgives all my sins and the sins of all believers . On the Last Day He will raise up me and all the dead and will give eternal life to me and to all believers in Christ. This is most certainly true."

If you think that you have asked Jesus in your heart then that seems to me a rather imperfect salvation as you and I are sinners. We have the ability to do the things of everyday activity but when it comes to salvation glory goes to God alone and not to anyone asking Christ into their heart. After all you did not know of Christ's heavenly gift outside of God's Holy Word, because salvation from Jesus is mentioned know where else.

So any decision was not made by reason but hearing the Word of God. We are totally passive in this great and beautiful exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment